New Kid on the Block - Whisk @ Wisma Atria

So-so - decor's cute, food's alright. I hate my soup at room temperature though...It should be piping hot!

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sweet & Cheap : Dessert Nation


So what can cure rainy days and bluey Mondays? Gorgeous-looking sugar, methinks. What's really awesome and unassuming is Baked Alaskan @ The Ship (#04-34/36 Shaw Centre 1 Scotts Road, Tel: 6235 2235). It's ice-cream wrapped in a swiss roll, encased in thick meringue. There were four of us at the table, and we were struggling to lap up the last scoops of the sugar-rific dessert.


I, of course, took it upon myself to bear this yummy burden. Hah! It's less than 20 bucks - great value for money. But do order at least 30 minutes in advance.
Someone at the table did comment that the ice-cream roll did taste like it was bought off the shelf...oh please...so what?!! We did gobble this up after our steaks and noodles, which pretty much would explain why I felt like barfing after stuffing myself silly...




Then there's Hediard's (123-125 Tanglin Road, Tudor Court,
Tel:6333 6383) butter croissant, awesome coffee list and coffee eclairs...The butter croissant comes toasty and crispy at $3.30 each. And the coffee's just stunning. The coffee eclair is authentic, I must say, but a tad too sweet for even a sugar fiend such as me.

I must admit I did just have wanton noodles at Kovan Hub before meeting my ex-classmate for the bougeoisie treats, which warrants an entire blog and a half on how majestic these noodles are...so beautifully prepared with ketchup and chilli and other nick nacks. Char siew (barbequed pork) sliced and stacked with voluptuos meat dumplings were ooh-la-la. Thanks for the introduction, Greg! It's how I remember it when I was growing up, and wanton noodles were only $1.50 a bowl.

And of course, there's newbie Whisk (435 Orchard Road, #03-15 Wisma Atria Tel:6836 5080)...right next to the taxi stand. They have a compact menu of pasta and western favorites as well as sweet stuff. The mushroom soup had a good texture but came lukewarm...ugh. The salmon burger and prawn aglio olio were not bad at all...though the pasta's better...am planning to check out the fish & chips when I'm back. Also, the banoffi came in a little glass so I shared it with my girlfriend, even though we were so stuffed. It was as sweet as it should be. Let me just say, I dislike bananas intensely, so I spent half the time licking off the carmel from my spoon, and shoveling out little bits of bananas onto the napkin. The check came for 60 bucks for two people - 3-course meal x 2 plus dessert - not bad at all.